Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Couldn't Be Late For Dinner

Our last night in Illinois will be, again, at The Fairfield Inn in Glenview. I rode my bike into the lobby of the hotel, parked the "B" in my room, and headed out promptly for the corner Mobil for a Red Bull, my one vice. Still garbed in full riding gear my 2011 PAC Tour jersey was enough incentive for a gentleman walking across the parking lot, also heading to the Mobil for a Red Bull, to strike up a conversation about biking.

Paul was his name, a transplant from Alabama. He'd bought himself a bike trying to get in shape, a decent bike, too. But he didn't know how to pump up his tires. Could I help him? Dinner, this our last night in Illinois, would be shared with Julia and Marty Davids, gifted musicians, at Kabul in Skokie--awesome Afghani food. If Paul would meet me in the parking lot Sunday morning at 7:00 we'd have tire pumping lessons.

We met; tires got pumped up; he was a a happy camper.

3 comments:

  1. One of the things I miss about living at the other end of the city is that it's now a serious trek to Kabul. You're making me crave Kabul.

    Happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great trip! Will miss you. Let me know where you are. There may be a decent conference out by you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that would be fun, Rose. I'll send you a copy of our itinerary.

    ReplyDelete